An apparatus for holding and measuring of gas; in gas works, a huge iron cylinder closed at one end and having the other end immersed in water, in which it is made to rise or fall, according to the volume of gas it contains, or the pressure required.

Origin: Gas. Cf. F. Gazometre.

(01 Mar 1998)

gasket, gas-liquid chromatography, gasohol, gasoline < Prev | Next > gasometric, gasometrical, gasometry

Bookmark with: icon icon icon icon iconword visualiser Go and visit our forums Community Forums